Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I can do it!

In 2001, when I was pregnant with my first child, J, I looked into using cloth diapers. My only experience with cloth had been babysitting a younger cousin. My teen-age-memories (accurate or not) of changing those diapers were streaked with chemical-smelling diapers and an acrid diaper pail full of who-knows-what. Those memories planted a seed of fear that grew the more I read. I read about wet pails, and dunking and rinsing. I read about Indian prefolds and Chinese prefolds and flat diapers and more acronyms than I could keep straight. I wanted to use cloth diapers, but I was afraid and overwhelmed.

Two and a half years later when my second son came along, I had brief thoughts of switching to cloth, but again was afraid of getting out of the familiar routine. My second son, A wore disposables and suffered from near-constant diaper rash. We tried several different brands of diapers, different brands of wipes, and when he was older, we tried switching to soy milk to see if milk had been causing the rash. In the end, we ended up going through tubes and tubes of diaper rash ointment.

When A was 2 1/2, my husband and I were thrilled to discover we were expecting number 3, also a boy. I was determined to break away from my comfortable routine and do what I had wanted to do five years earlier. I read some more, and this time, found a wonderful website written by Karen Fegelman, full of information that I could relate to.

I’ve had a hard time describing to friends and family my exact reasons for using cloth diapers, and I admit I have told people that I do it because it’s cheaper. It is cheaper, but that has not been my main motivator. I didn't want to tell people I was doing it to "save the planet" because I thought I'd get funny looks (and I have). I feel good about using cloth diapers, and I think that they are less wasteful than disposable, but that has not been my main motivator either. My main motivator is difficult to put into words. Cloth diapering has just felt natural to me.

All I had to do was over come my fear.

From reading Karen’s site, I learned that I wanted to use prefolds, with a cover, and I discovered Snappi’s (which have fascinated my mother, who expected to see pins on my baby’s diaper). I learned that I could wash the diapers at home and that it wasn’t hard or scary. I learned that I could do it.

I switched A to cloth diapers a few months before the new baby, C, was born. Being a three-year-old, he wasn’t thrilled with the new amount of bulk. Cloth diapers are bulkier than disposables, but within a week, it was business as usual. He learned quickly where to position himself when I put the diaper on the floor. Sometimes I think he could diaper himself. He’s learned all the terminology, and best of all, he hasn’t had any diaper rashes. For him, cloth diapers have been a good transition to toilet training.

When C was born, I could hardly wait to use the new cloth diapers I had waiting for him. In my excitement, I ordered 2 dozen preemie diapers thinking that my third son would be small like his brothers. C was over 8lbs, and at birth, was already too big for the preemie diapers to fit well, so I quickly ordered the next size up. Cloth diapering C has been like coming home. It’s something that deep down, I wanted to do, but just didn’t know how.

Allie is a stay at home mom to her three sons, J, A, and C. She is grateful for a husband who shares in the joy and the mess of diapering. She can be reached at greenpeasbaby@gmail.com. Cloth diapering is addicting, and Allie wants to help any one who wants to cloth diaper take that first leap.

4 comments:

George said...

I could never master the safety pins and was afraid I would stick the baby. Can cloth diapers come with duct tape or gorilla glue?

Alice said...

Snappis work even better than duct tape or gorilla glue!

derekstaff said...

My parents used cloth diapers on the first few of we kids (I presume because disposables weren't as common in the mid-seventies). And my father, in perhaps his only progressive inclination, made sure he spent as much time in the less pleasant aspects of parenting as my mother.

Fast forward a few years, and at a ward party while I was a teen, the Elders Quorum thought it would be amusing to sponsor a cloth diapering contest for fathers (on plastic dolls). The two other contestants took about five minutes, and when they held up the dolls, one lost their diaper completely (the other hung loosely). The ward was delighted and impressed when my father was done in about thirty seconds with a nice, tightly-fitting diaper.

Anyway, I have an environmental question. Disposable diapers have obvious environmental consequences. But the book The consumer's guide to effective environmental choices by Michael Brower notes that there can be less obvious costs to cloth diapers: a much higher rate of water use. In regions and communities where water is scarce, the water use might actually be worse for the environment than the disposables. I tend to think the volume of waste from disposables is probably the bigger concern, but given the increased understanding of our precarious water situation, I can't entirely deny the point. What do you think about the issue?

Alice said...

Sorry I didn't see your comment earlier Derek. I need to change the settings so it emails me.

The water issue is one that I had to consider when I was trying to make the jump to cloth diapers.

In the future I'd like to get a front loader washing machine, as they use much less water.

Since I have a perfectly good working washing machine currently, it seems a little wasteful to go out and buy a new one, so what I am doing now is using the size setting for the load to keep the water level at an appropriate level for the amount of diapers I'm washing. I presoak the diapers, then drain and spin, then I add the rest of our whites to the load and wash them all together on hot. So I figure, I'm only adding the water for the presoak to my laundry (and the water for the increased load size I suppose).

The other issue I had to think about is that in my county, the trash is burned and energy is generated from that, so any disposables I used weren't going to end up in the landfill anyway.

I have some issues with the air pollution that causes, but I really don't know how efficient the waste incinerator is.

I've kind of decided that it's a personal decision, and if someone feels better using disposables, then that's what they ought to do, but I think everyone ought to look at thier situation and do what they can to reduce the impact of the waste they generate and the resources they use.

I don't like to be told that I'm wasting the earth's resources by having more than one (or any even) child. I don't think anyone should tell a parent how many children they should have.

I do think that parents ought to teach all of their children to conserve resources and not waste what we have.

Anyway, that's my rant.

(Good for your father for changing diapers! My Mr. changes diapers too, although he prefers to let me dunk them in the toilet when it's necessary.

My mom used cloth because disposables were awful "back then". They didn't contain well, apparently.)